We are pleased to announce that we are supporting a new charity which is local to the Bluestone head office: the Normanton Foodbank (part of The Well Project).
What does the Normanton Foodbank do?
The Normanton Foodbank is a project founded by local churches and community groups, working together towards stopping hunger in the local area. Based in the Well Project, Haw Hill Park, Normanton, they are in the heart of the community helping local people in crisis.
How does the foodbank work?
Every day people in the UK go hungry for reasons ranging from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. A simple box of food makes a big difference, with foodbanks helping prevent crime, housing loss, family breakdown and mental health problems.
- FOOD IS DONATED: Schools, churches, businesses and individuals donate non-perishable, in-date food to a foodbank. Large collections often take place as part of Harvest Festival celebrations and food is also collected at supermarkets.
- FOOD IS SORTED AND STORED: Volunteers sort food to check that it’s in date and pack it into boxes ready to be given to people in need. Over 40,000 people give up their time to volunteer at foodbanks.
- PROFESSIONALS IDENTIFY PEOPLE IN NEED: Foodbanks partner with a wide range of care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers and police to identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher.
- CLIENTS RECEIVE FOOD: Foodbank clients bring their voucher to a foodbank centre where it can be redeemed for three days’ emergency food. Volunteers meet clients over a warm drink or free hot meal and are able to signpost people to agencies able to solve the longer-term problem.
How to give help
There are several ways that you can help the Normanton Foodbank in their mission:
If you could like more information about the project and/or how you can get involved, visit www.normanton.foodbank.org.uk.
Other projects/charities we are proud to support include:
- Guide Dogs
- Wakefield Hospice
- MS Society
- The Children’s Hospital Charity
- Macmillan Cancer Support.